1. This one has cinnamon cream cheese icing; perfect for fall. Plus, isn't it just so pretty?
2. This one has a buttermilk glaze added on top of the cake and under the frosting. Hmm.
3. This one looks really good too, and easy; although I always leave out the addition of things like raisins and nuts and pineapple. We both prefer our carrot cake plain and simple.
4. This might be a good idea, in addition to the cake rather than instead of it, if I have leftover batter/icing: Carrot cake whoopie pies!
5. And finally, I couldn't resist this idea even though I probably won't go for it: Carrot cake in a jar.
Also, I want to play around with the icing this year to make it look super pretty (more for my benefit than his, I'll admit).
This rose-icing tutorial is gorgeous--maybe too gorgeous for a dude's birthday cake? Sigh.
More likely though, I'll probably just do some simple texturing with a spoon, like this:
After all, I'm pretty sure he cares more about how it tastes than how it looks.