Saturday, October 1, 2011

New Fall Staples

These are some things I got at the end of the summer before the new semester started: 


A light pink cardigan ($3, random store in the mall), a black briefcase/satchel ($20, T.J. Maxx), and leopard print ballet flats ($20, Gap). 

One thing to know about me and my blog is that I'm not rich. I don't own any designer clothes, and for the most part I'm okay with that. I love vintage and thrift stores, and in my opinion there's nothing better than getting some nice, maybe used clothes for super cheap or free. Sometimes I do get jealous of bloggers with amazing wardrobes, but for now my style is on a budget. One blog that really inspired me to quash the urge to shop is Dead Fleurette. Her wardrobe is minimal, but oh so effective. It actually made me think that maybe I too could pare down my crazy, eclectic wardrobe. Maybe one day.

In the meantime though, I really do try to only buy what I need. Of course, once you have the bare minimum of basic clothing, you don't really need anymore; but in terms of building a stylish, useful wardrobe, there are needs vs. wants. I consider a good trench coat a (still unsatisfied) need, and yet another pair of colored jeans a want. I keep a list of "needs," and stick to it. I'm willing to pay a little more for those. As for my "wants," if I find something that I like that's really cheap, like that $3 cardigan, then I get it.

The bag and shoes were considered needs. I needed a good, structured bag to carry my laptop and books in this semester. I could have used any old backpack, but I wanted to look professional since I have an internship on campus. The flats perhaps weren't completely practical, some might say (I'm a recent convert to leopard print, but I'm still not ready to argue that it's a neutral), but I needed a new pair of ballet flats and I had a discount at the Gap where I worked over the summer. So I paid more for those. Yes, for me, $20 is shelling out the big bucks. And in the long run, it's definitely paid off. I wear the flats several times a week, and I use that bag every single day. The cardigan? Not so much, but who cares? It was only $3 and it's pretty.

What are some of your wardrobe staples/needs? What about your wants? Are there any other cheapskate fashionistas out there? (I'm willing to bet there are, in this economy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment